Shedding more hair than usual in lockdown? This might be why…
It’s safe to say that everyone’s beauty routine has seen a shakeup during the past three months. Whether it’s missing out on those regular trims, washing your hair less and possibly skipping the styling altogether- new habits will affect your hair!
Natalia Ferrara, Revitalash Cosmetics International Educator explains there are many contributing factors that might be causing thinning hair that you might not even realise including ageing, stress, diet, UV exposure, pollutants and genetics…but there is no need to panic!
“Your hair is your identity, your crown and glory. Its DNA structure includes ethnicity, culture and gender, as well as health, creativity, style and expression. In lockdown the smallest of things such as changes to your diet can affect the health of your hair, When you don’t get the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that your body needs from your diet, it can cause a loss of hair. For instance, too little protein in your diet can damage healthy hair, and inhibit your body’s ability to build new hair follicles. Some of us might be currently indulging in a hair detox, which means less washing, blow dry’s and styling which in theory sounds great but if that’s the case when you do finally hit the shower you are naturally going to see morehair draining down the plughole- you lose hair on a daily basis but if you aren’t washing and it’s building up over the days when you finally indulge in a wash that build-up will be released at the same time, but don’t panic- that’s normal.”
If you have been reaching for the box dye out of sheer panic? Dyeing does not inhibit hair growth, but it may cause hair loss by damaging the hair that is colour treated. The Hair
“You really need to see your scalp as you do your facial skincare routine, so treat it with care and invest in products for hair health.”
So, if you are shedding more hair than usual and are looking to get big, bouncy and voluminous hair again, there are products and tips to help you shake off your limp lockdown locks.
7 Steps to shake off lockdown locks
1) The Thickening Shampoo & Conditioner by Revitalash Cosmetics exfoliate, cleanse and condition. Hair will feel rejuvenated, brought back to life and have shine and manageability that was not there prior. The conditioner will strengthen the hair and further support the benefits of the shampoo.
2) Try a Hot Towel Spa treatment by leaving the Thickening Conditioner on the hair for 20mins cocooned with a hot towel.
3) Use a leave-in conditioner for manageable tousled hair such as the award-winning Volume Enhancing Foam by Revitalash Advanced. This is a breakthrough, no-rinse, unisex, hair enhancer designed to address the needs of fine and thinning hair for men and women by intensifying natural volume. The lightweight formula adds shine and body and improves elasticity to help combat breakage and aid in the conditioning of the scalp
4. Avoid blow-drying/less heat styling devices.
5. Avoid wet combing. When your hair is wet it’s at its weakest which means it’s more fragile and prone to breakage.
6. Treat your scalp. This 3 step hair regimen addresses the needs of those suffering from dry scalp conditions or just a dry scalp in general.
7. Eat a healthy diet. Protein is vital for a healthy head of hair. Oily fish, chicken, eggs and soy are good sources.